This program focuses on broad, transferable skills and stresses understanding and demonstration of the following elements of the information technology industry; technical and product skills, underlying principles of technology , planning, management, finance, labor issues, community issues and health, safety, and environmental issues. The Computer Systems Technology course consists of 900 hours.
- Determine what the organization needs in a network and computer system before it is set up
- Install all network hardware and software and make needed upgrades and repairs
- Maintain network and computer system security and ensure that all systems are operating correctly
- Collect data in order to evaluate the network’s or system’s performance and help make the system work better and faster
- Add users to a network and assign and update security permissions on the network
- Train users on the proper use of hardware and software
- Solve problems when a user or an automated monitoring system informs them that a problem exist
- Network and Computer Systems Administrator
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
- Computer Support Specialist
Employment of computer support specialists is projected to grow 12 percent through 2022, faster than the average for all occupations
Median wage for a Computer Support Specialist is $34.88 hourly and $72,560 annually.